Essay



Why Does the Graphic Designer Of Today 
Need To Know About Graphic Design Of the Past?



       Graphic Design is using type or image to educate, entertain, or send a message.  Design can be stated back to the cave man days where caveman used pictures on the cave walls as a form of language to communicate. Egyptians are another example, they drew pictures and symbols on the walls of pyramids and documented historic events within their kingdom on wax sheets or paper sometimes wood. As time passed on the world saw many artist/designers use graphic design to advertise or illustrate books etc. 
        
         This justifies the point that a person does need to know the history of graphic
design. It is important to know that graphic design is more than just putting type or creating an image on a poster or magazine etc… If one didn’t not know who or where the foundations of design come from I wouldn’t be able to define my own style; yet alone get a job in the design world as an intelligent designer. One needs to know the foundations to design so if and when asked by others one has knowledge of it.

        I think that the knowledge I gain from my predecessor’s will benefit my design. 
The knowledge will help distinguished styles that I take interest in. I am excited to
see how my design knowledge and skills grow.